Our Demands of Hershey
The Raise the Bar campaign is asking Hershey to take meaningful steps to combat child, forced, and trafficked labor in its supply chain.
Specifically, we are asking Hershey:
1. To make an agreement to take immediate action to eliminate forced and child labor in violation of ILO conventions 29, 105, 138, and 182 from Hershey’s cocoa supply chain through
- tracing its supply chain to the farm level
- sourcing from farmers who can show through independent verification that they do not use forced labor or child labor
- asking suppliers to end such practices at the farms from which they source.
2. To make a commitment to sourcing cocoa that has been 100% certified by an independent third party certification system that meets or goes beyond the fair trade* standard for at least one of its top-five-selling chocolate bars that prominently displays the Hershey name by 2012.
3. Additionally, a commitment to sourcing certified cocoa for at least one additional top-five-selling bar every two years thereafter, so that Hershey’s top-five-selling cocoa bars will all be 100% certified by an independent third party certification system that meets or goes beyond the fair trade* standard within 10 years or that the majority of Hershey’s cocoa across all products will be certified by 2022.
* Fair trade refers to any independent fair trade certification system that meets or goes beyond the Fairtrade International Standard for Small Producer Organizations.